Re: Need rust remedy!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Need rust remedy!
From: Bruce pyle <pyle@bright.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 22:23:16 -0400 (EDT)
At 05:14 PM 8/2/96 -0400, you wrote:
>On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, Bruce pyle wrote:
>
>> >I'm thinking about using an Eastwood product called Oxisolv. Has anyone used
>> >this product? Can epoxy primer be used over it?
>> >
>> Don't know this one, but it sounds much like Extend which is a Locktite
>> product and is sold at NAPA and other places.  It turns the oxide to ferrous
>> phosphate. Does not require a pristene surface.  Tends to work in under
>> edges and stop spreading cancer.  It serves as a primer or primer base.
>>
>Oxisolve is supposed to remove rust, so it is not the same as Extend,
>which is supposed to convert rust to an inert, paintable surface.
>
>I wish Extend worked; it would be wonderful if it did.  I am here to tell
>you, however, that it does not.  Repeat, it does not work.  I have
>followed instructions to the letter, primed, and painted.  The rust has
>returned within a year every time.  Please do not use this as
>part of your preparation for an expensive paint job; you will be wasting
>your money.  Don't use it for a simple touch up, for that matter; you
>will be wasting your time.
>
>   Ray Gibbons  Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
>                Univ. of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT
>                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910

Don't want to start some kind of contest, but Extend has worked fine for me.
I have seen it convert the rust and stay without prime or other treatment
for over two years in a car I sold and which was exposed to the weather and
otherwise not cared for at all.  Sorry your experience was different.  I
have no commercial interst in this product, of course.  It just worked for me

Bruce Pyle