Re: Midget Radio installation

To: jeremy.baxter@parallax.co.uk, mirams@bf.rmit.edu.au
Subject: Re: Midget Radio installation
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 16:52:18 -0400
Jermey & Steven,

My son and I restored his '76 Midget two years ago. We reworked the metal
console so that the radio is now on the angled surface where the original
speaker location is. It worked really well. No shifter interference! What was
British Leyland thinking about when they did this?

This did required removing (and replacing) the vinyl cover, TIG welding a
patch over both the angled and vertical surfaces. A sheet metal shop helped
us with this. As a finishing touch, I put one of the " MG radio blanking
plates" onto the vertical surface. It looks great! The speakers were mounted
in the panel behind the seats and the boot.

His car won third place in our local "All British Day" here in Dallas. Many
people asked about the radio installation. I've not seen anything neater. Not
original, but absolutely functional and pleasing to the eye.

R. Johnson - Dallas