More fuel pump questions...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: More fuel pump questions...
From: "Jason F. Dutt" <simjason@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 00:08:56 -0400
        Okay, I know I already went through this, but I got a variety of
down, now, too.

        As you may recall, I have an intermittent fuel pump...I think.
Here's the sequence of events:
        1)  I get the car, drive it about 500 miles, it quits on the
highway.  No response from the throttle (no "glug, glug" associated with
ignition problems as you press the accelerator); ignition light on.  Try to
start it a few times; turns over, won't fire.  Wait a few minutes, try
again, and it runs fine.
        2)  500 miles later, same thing happens, but this time, I'm stuck
for about an hour.  A couple times during this episode, it sputtered, but
didn't run.  Finally, it started and ran fine.
        3)  700 miles later, same thing.  As soon as I get it to the side of
the road, it fires up.  Drive about 2 miles, and it "boggs down" ie.
pressing the pedal results in a deep groan, and VERY little power.  Mind
you, the engine is still running, but like it is being choked - literally
<g>.  Then, all of a sudden, I'm back to normal power.  The car never quit
running altogether.  A few more miles down the road, it did quit.  Tapping
the fuel pump a bit with the tyre iron fixed the situation, or seemed to anyway.

        It's been another hundred miles or so now, and all is well.  I guess
I just want to confirm with this new information that it is, in fact, the
fuel pump before I go buying a new one.  By the way,  has anyone had any
experience with one of those "double-ended" fuel pumps?  Are they worth the
extra cash?

Thanks for your patience,

[       JASON DUTT       ]
[ simjason@ix.netcom.com ]