Re: More fuel pump questions...

To: jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More fuel pump questions...
From: Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 96 20:05:40 GMT
>There is a way to check for proper contact adjustment and a way to
>install a diode to reduce the burning and pitting of the contacts.
>You'll have to get that wisdom from the other list members as I
>haven't gotten that far yet.

>From my electro-mechanical telecommunications days spark quenching
diodes were used connected straight across the contacts, to oppose
the normal current flow.  I think the theory is that the collapsing
magnetic field in the (usually inductive) load induces a voltage
across the just-opened contacts in the reverse direction to normal.
The diode thus provides a lower resistance path for this reverse
voltage than the (at that stage) minute air gap between the contacts
and stops arcing and material transfer (pitting and spiking).  It has
the side effect of slowing down the release of the armature.  But its
all been a loooong time ago.

PaulH
73 Roadster (HD&H)
75 V8 (DD)