Re: More fuel pump questions...

To: mgs@autox.team.net, simjason@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: More fuel pump questions...
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 07:51:35 -0400

>         As you may recall, I have an intermittent fuel pump...I think.
>
>         It's been another hundred miles or so now, and all is well.  I guess
> I just want to confirm with this new information that it is, in fact, the
> fuel pump before I go buying a new one.  By the way,  has anyone had any
> experience with one of those "double-ended" fuel pumps?  Are they worth the
> extra cash?

One of the first thing I did on my car was to get my fuel pump
working.  After I checked to insure that power was indeed going to the
pump. I removed it, cleaned the oxide off the contacts with some 3/0
sand paper (crocus cloth), and put it back on the car. When I turned
the key the pump went click click... till the float bowl filled up. It
was pretty easy. There is a way to check for proper contact adjustment
and a way to install a diode to reduce the burning and pitting of the
contacts. You'll have to get that wisdom from the other list members as
I haven't gotten that far yet. But it is all cheaper than a new pump
and, if I recall correctly, more reliable than the new ones.

- -Mark