Re: 65/66 B's

To: Denise Thorpe <thorpe@kegs.saic.com>
Subject: Re: 65/66 B's
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 16:35:44 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 13 Sep 1996, Denise Thorpe wrote:

> TJ Noto asked:
>
> > Does anyone have any definitive information or thoughts on this
> > subject?  I'd like to get the car registered as a 65 because it would
> > eliminate the need to have it smogged every year. While the car
> > is stock and always makes it through after I've tweaked it a little,
> > it's a hassle and an extra cost I'd rather not deal with.
>
> This is not definitive, but I had to smog my '65 MG 1100 back when I kept
> it registered in San Diego.  Supposedly, it's _pre_ '65 cars that don't
> need to be smogged.  However, a lot of people believe as you do about this,
> so maybe that obviously well trained DMV employee I talked to was mistaken.
> Remember, the DMV is one of those state agencies that's required to hire
> welfare mothers.  A friend once said, "If you don't get the answer you
> want at the DMV, keep asking until you do."
>
> Denise Thorpe
> thorpe@kegs.saic.com

I think I see the possibility of a home-based business with low overhead
and high profits that I might pursue for (the rest of) my declining years.
VT (which is a wretched place to live, you would all hate it) has no title
for cars prior to 72.  If I sold a 65 car to a Californian or New
Jerseyite, the only proof of purchase I could offer would be a bill of
sale.  CA or NJ would, I should think, have no choice but to accept it, and
issue a title.

So, what I'm thinking is, you guys with cars titled in years after
their manufacture sell them to me for $1.  Then I sell them back to you
for oh, say, $500, and send you a bill of sale that shows the correct
manufacture year.  You take this to your DMV, etc etc.

Seems to me there is no fraud here, since I would not cheat on the year.
You could not cheat, because surely your states would verify the serial
number.  You get a title for the correct year, save endless grief, and I
am one step closer to an XK-120.  Any lawyers on the list want to comment?

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910