Re: Transmission Lube

To: tiltonj@erols.com (Jay Tilton), BeBrief@bc.sympatico.ca,
Subject: Re: Transmission Lube
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 07:22:39 -0700
At 03:08 PM 9/18/96 +0600, you wrote:
>Ross MacPherson wrote:
>>With the new lube, Red Line
>>synthetic 75w-140w gear oil,
>[snip]
>>I don't know if this stuff is available in a 30W range for A's and B's but I
>>know it is available in the 75-90W range
>
>Heh.  You're confusing motor oil with gear oil.  The viscosity indices for
>each are different.  A 90W gear oil and a 30W motor oil are about the same.

You know Jason, I've looked at 90W gear oil and thought that it just didn't
look as viscous as I thought it should. Now I know why.  I had no idea the
viscosity scales were different.

I learn something every day here.

Cheers,
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT