Re: Freeze plug for MG TC

To: Robert J Donahue/DELCO <RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com>
Subject: Re: Freeze plug for MG TC
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 23:18:18 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 23 Sep 1996, Robert J Donahue/DELCO wrote:
> <From: gibbons @ northpole.med.uvm.edu ("W. R. Gibbons") @ USDESMTP
> <Pure water will not contain lubricants and rust inhibitors that are in
> <good quality anti freeze.  These would have to be added separately.
> <Moreover, I believe that a 50-50 mix of antifreeze and water has a
> <*higher* boiling point as well as a lower freezing point, compared to pure
> <water.  I do agree that the water mixed with the antifreeze should be
> <distilled.
> <                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910
>
> I heard several people warn against using distilled water at MG Indy 96,
> although they could not explain why. That sounds like an old wives tale
> to me. What could possibly be bad about using distilled water with
> antifreeze? Anybody else ever hear of this?

If I remember correctly, the coolant mix has a higher boiling point than
water, but it doesn't transfer heat as effectively (lower heat capacity?
can't remember).  Thus, your engine will run slightly hotter with 50/50,
but it has more headroom before it boils.

I also remember reading that distilled water should not be used.  Of
course I don't remember why, but it made sense or I would have definitely
switched to distilled water!
The only thing I can think of is that the minerals etc. in the water must
aid in heat transfer or raise the heat capacity.

                                                           '67 Sprite