Re: Freeze plug for MG TC

To: mgs@autox.team.net, ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: Re: Freeze plug for MG TC
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 11:37:56 -0400
> > What should be
> >>used as cooling water just purified water or a regular coolant for a
> >>modern car. I do not expect any temperatures below freezing point.
> >
> >For California, use only distilled water without coolant as you have a
> >non-sealed system.

It is a good idea to put in an overflow reservoir in older cars. When
the system heats up the cap will bleed off excess coolant if the
radiator is over-filled when cold. When it cools air is sucked in. The
air can contribute to the corrosion process, even with added inhibitors.

The closed systems suck the overflow back in so the system is always
full. Minimum air. For those of us who like originality the overflow
tank can be made removable for shows.

> >I disagree with the writer that suggests a 50/50 mix of antifreeze. That is
> >fine for winter driving, but in 85+F. weather, you may boil over as the
> >antifreeze lowers the boiling point as well as lowering the freezing point
> >(which is irrelevant here). I'd like to see more discussion on the topic of
> >coolants.

The antifreeze shouldn't alter the boiling point significantly. What does
alter it is the pressure of the system. An open (unpressurised) system
boils at around 212 F. The same system at 15 psi boils at 265 F.
Pressurre is the key to preventing boil. I don't have the formula so
can somone tell me what temperature my '67 B will boil sith the 7 psi
cap?

- -Mark