Re: Freeze plug for MG TC

Subject: Re: Freeze plug for MG TC
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 21:51:25 -0700
>is
>point
>of
> >>> >

> >>The antifreeze shouldn't alter the boiling point significantly. What does
> >>alter it is the pressure of the system. An open (unpressurised) system
> >>boils at around 212 F. The same system at 15 psi boils at 265 F.
> >>Pressurre is the key to preventing boil. I don't have the formula so
> >>can somone tell me what temperature my '67 B will boil sith the 7 psi
> >>cap?

The following information came to me via direct e-mail from an
enthusiast in Florida, in response to one of my posts (in which I quoted
my ant-freeze bottle as showing a 14 degree increase in boiling point of
a 50/50 mixture vs. pure water).  Said enthusiast was hesitant to
respond to the MG list due to a reluctance to step on anyone's toes
(must be some big, sensitive toes out there!).  Not being one to avoid
trodding all over other's feet, the following is probably more than you
ever wanted to know about the composition of anti-freeze!

"From my schooling days (many years ago)  for every one pound increase
in pressure,  the cooling system boiling point increases 3 degrees (F).
This is a general "Rule of Thumb" which almost everyone in the industry
uses.  To get exact you have to do the math and calculate in the factors
for
the barometric atmospheric pressures & elevations.  Three pounds works
out close enough.

Anti-Freeze (100%) has a heat transfer rating that is 25% of plain
water. [Littlefield's note:  Wow!  I wouldn't have guessed that heat
transfer would be that much less!  As I noted in an earlier post, some
transferability can be regained by using Redline's Water Wetter]

                                Water      EtGly      PropGly      Units

boiling point                 100         197          188         deg C
freezing point                    0         -13
deg C
molar heat capacity       18          36           45      cal/mol-C
specific heat                      1        0.58         0.59
cal/gram-C
vapor pressure at 25 C    24        0.12         0.13       torr
molecular weight           18          62           76      gram/mol
heat of vaporization     9.72       12.06        12.94     kilocal/mol
heat of vaporization       540         195          170      cal/gram
viscosity at temp.    1 @ 20 C  13.6 @ 30 C  18.0 @ 40 C
The ideal temperature for coolant is 190 F.

BTW - I live in Florida and rarely see freezing temperatures, everyone
here
still relies on anti freeze and refers to it as ''coolant''.

See Ya,  <name withheld>"