Re: Transmission problems, Rib Case... HELP!

To: "John P. Quinn" <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Subject: Re: Transmission problems, Rib Case... HELP!
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 16:15:06 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, John P. Quinn wrote:

> I've seen where some rebuilds cost $1000!  Yikes!
>
> I was thinking more like $500 for a used in good shape non-rebuild one.

I think that is the problem.  Where are you going to find a good used one?
These cars are pretty old by now, and transmissions are in high demand.
Also, watch out:  My transmission feels great, synchros work well, etc.
However it is worn so that when I go over 3500 or 4000 rpm (depending on
ambient temp) on the highway, it rattles like crazy (sounds just like
shifter rattle).  People on this list have convinced me that it is not
just a worn shift linkage, but worn bearings.

5-speed, here I come.  Well, my wallet is not yet as enthusiastic as I am,
it will have to wait...

                                                           '67 Sprite