Re: Transmission problems, Rib Case... HELP!

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Transmission problems, Rib Case... HELP!
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 09:29:32 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 21 Oct 1996, Ulix Goettsch wrote:

> Also, watch out:  My transmission feels great, synchros work well, etc.
> However it is worn so that when I go over 3500 or 4000 rpm (depending on
> ambient temp) on the highway, it rattles like crazy (sounds just like
> shifter rattle).  People on this list have convinced me that it is not
> just a worn shift linkage, but worn bearings.
>
> 5-speed, here I come.  Well, my wallet is not yet as enthusiastic as I am,
> it will have to wait...

In the meantime, I suggest you remove the metal cover the lever comes
through, unbolt the shift lever, and check the little O-ring at the bottom
of the lever.  It may not be the problem, but it is cheap and easy to
replace.  I have a replacement shift knob that rattles when I drive and
clacks when I shift.  I could hardly believe it was the knob, but when I
put on the original knob, all the funny noises disappear.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910