Transmission problems, Rib Case... HELP!

To: mgs@autox.team.net, Healeys@autox.team.net, British-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Transmission problems, Rib Case... HELP!
From: jpquinn@cyberramp.net (John P. Quinn)
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 13:21:50 -0500
Well, over the weekend I did many things including replaceing the hypoy in
my transmission.

The 1st load that came out filled the indention of the drain plug with metal
particale as well as the oil drain pan with lots of metal chunks... Very bad!

I then pluged it, refilled it and drove around for about an hour getting it
good and hot.

Drained it again and found some more evidence of metal particle in the
indention of the plug.  Also, in the bottom of the oil drain pan, more metal
particles.  But not as bad as the 1st load, but still bad.

I've filled it up again and will drain again this next weekend.  I have a
feeling it's still going to be full of fine metal particles.  :(

I hear a 'Tink' type sound, a metal upon metal sound after a shift has been
made while the car is moving at low speeds.  Hard to tell if it's the clutch
or the transmission.

My neighbor, Mr. Porsche '72 Porsche tha twon the '87 Grand Nationals, rode
with me and he thinks that it is one or both: E-Clip rings and/or a
sycnronizer or 2 ratteling or moving around.

After all that saw dust I found, I don't know what to think other than the
worst.

After all that fresh fluid, the sound seems to be a little loader and more
frequent.

I think that draining all the crap out of the case and getting a lot less
sand paper in the transmission, things are looser and freer so the parts are
easier to bang around???

The stick feels smother and more fluidy though!   :)

Oh yeah, the gears have never been gridy or anything although, it will pop
out of 2nd gear from a downshift from time to time and sometimes pop out of
1st if I get going on it, slow down, leave it in gear and then speed back
up, it'll sometimes pop out.

Are there kits for a '72 Rib Case that I have in my '62 Sprite?  If so, how
much am I going to pay for a complete and total rebuild kit?  How much for
maching costs?  Am I better off buying a rebuilt one instead of doing the
work my self?  Ballpark guess are welcome.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Jay Quinn    -     '62 Austin-Healey MKII Sprite
jpquinn@cyberramp.net
www.cyberramp.net/~jpquinn
PGP Encryption Key Upon Request