Re: Points --> Elec. Ign. Common Place?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Points --> Elec. Ign. Common Place?
From: TheSkinny@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 16:19:43 -0500
>>I installed a Crane XR-700 in my Midget and it has performed well without
>any hassle or readjustment at all.  It cost about $100 but has saved me
>about that much in pain in the ass factor.  I like to make my car as
>reliable as possible so I can enjoy driving it (at least try and even out
>the driving vs. fixing it)-- this is why I installed a datsun transmission
>too.  I would recommend the elec. ign- it doesn't significantly (+2-5 hp)
>alter power but it makes the car much more reliable.  If you want to
>install a hotter coil you can do so, but it is not required.
<<

Electronic Ignitions eliminate the effect of worn distributor shaft bushings,
point block wear, point float at high RPM, burnt points, bad condensors, and
eliminate setting point gap and dwell. A hotter coil (higher output voltage)
allows spark plug gap to be increased, resulting in more complete combustion.
 I noticed John Twist recommended against platinum tip plugs...WHY??  My
experience is that when the complete ignition system is modernized all at
once (electronic ignition, high energy coil, high energy ignition wires,
platinum tip plugs regapped slightly wider) is that the motor is much
smoother on the available fuels, and is much more forgiving (maintainance
free longer) with improved fuel economy, no missfiring, missing, run-on etc.
 My next quest is to figure out how to adapt the new coil on plug technology
to our LCB's.  A separate coil on each plug will eliminate spark plug wires,
cap and rotor, and allow increased energy to each plug.  Anybody out there
working on this?

David Riker
69 Midget