Is a Triumph the answer?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Is a Triumph the answer?
From: WJAD81D@prodigy.com (MR JOHN P ELWOOD)
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 00:14:53, -0500
You all might remember me, I'm the one who got stuck with $900 in
unexpected car bills from a mechanic who liked to take my cars on
long rides, and got the really beat up hood from Victoria British.
   Well, you might not know about my MGB-GT.  It was being towed off
the MASS Pike when it broke loose of the flat bed truck and rolled
into the back of the truck cab.  Well, that was Aug 16.  It is STILL
in the body shop, albiet painted beautifully.  It just won't pass
inspection.   Cars with no brake fluid in the system tend to do that.

  The bodyman says he saw NO signs of drips or leaks, and I tend to
believe him.  This car has had a history of making fluids dissapear
into thin air.  Did that with the whole clutch system one day.  Did
that with the brakes before, but I did find that leak and fixed it.
I just want to know...  Should I buy a Triumph?
   I've had some BAD experinces with MGs, and I'm a diehard MG fan,
and will never, ever sell any of my three little beauties.  But I
don't own a real car.  I drive MGs all winter, all summer, on the
highway, etc, and the only one that behaves is the MG Magnette Mk.
III.  This is the car refered to by "MGA!"'s tech writer as "The all
time dog," when it comes to service bulletins.
   I have the oppurtunity to buy a TR-7, a car I do LIKE the shape of.
  It's a convertible, new head, totally rust-free, never repaired,
original paint on body, crap interior, and more rips in the roof than
holes in swiss cheese.  It's under $1000, and needs a clutch, so says
the owner.
   Should I, a 18 year old in college making only $5.60 (I got a
raise) an hour, buy ANOTHER British car?  I need a car that RUNS, and
will do it on the highway.  The Magnette is hard pressed when I get
it up to 65.  Is a Triumph the answer?

John