Re: Is a Triumph the answer?

To: MR JOHN P ELWOOD <WJAD81D@prodigy.com>
Subject: Re: Is a Triumph the answer?
From: Rick Hoefle <NamasteRH@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 1996 23:33:42 -0500
MR JOHN P ELWOOD wrote:

> You all might remember me, I'm the one who got stuck with $900 in
> unexpected car bills from a mechanic who liked to take my cars on
> long rides, and got the really beat up hood from Victoria British.
>    Well, you might not know about my MGB-GT.  It was being towed off
> the MASS Pike when it broke loose of the flat bed truck and rolled
> into the back of the truck cab.  Well, that was Aug 16.  It is STILL
> in the body shop, albiet painted beautifully.  It just won't pass
> inspection.   Cars with no brake fluid in the system tend to do that.
>
>   The bodyman says he saw NO signs of drips or leaks, and I tend to
> believe him.  This car has had a history of making fluids dissapear
> into thin air.  Did that with the whole clutch system one day.  Did
> that with the brakes before, but I did find that leak and fixed it.
> I just want to know...  Should I buy a Triumph?
>
> <snippage>
>
>Is a Triumph the answer?
>
> John

John:
Before ye abandone all hope, I would just like to point out that, as far
as your brakes are concerned, your problems may not be QUITE so
mysterious.  If you have a brake booster on the car, and it is in need
of a rebuild, it will let you know it by sending all of the available
fluid into the engine where it will be consumed with nary a trace.  I
have only heard of such a failure as being catastrophic, meaning that
the failure is complete (i.e., suddenly there are no brakes), but I do
not see why it could not happen gradually, causing mushy braking for a
time.

Anyway, all I am saying is don't be too quick to pack it in, at least
until you have learned more details about the problems you are having.

And, FWIW, I always liked the TR6 MUCH more than the TR7.  Good luck.
--

Rick Hoefle 1964 Tiger B9470508 - HIS
            1969 MGC            - HERS