Real MGs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Real MGs
From: The Richards <smrm@coastalnet.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 1996 07:27:52 -0500
Seems the world has been running out of 'real' MGs since the introduction of
the T series, with each new model being labeled by some as 'not a real MG'.
. . right up to the rubber bumper Bs (I certainly think they're 'real' MGs,
just ugly ones). The MGF would seem to have at least some continuity of
design, since  Gerry McGovern, its chief designer, worked on the EX-E way
back in 1985 and some MG people were evidently on that design team. Also,
Don Hayter(who designed the B) says that the B replacement MG was trying to
push through Leyland was a mid-egined vehicle.
   Besides, MGs have never been snobby, blue-blood cars. I compare them to
border collies -- bred for a purpose with a nobility of spirit that
surpasses any pedigree.
    I think the F is a 'real' MG -- though I wish Rover had adopted new
nomenclature to acknowledge the gap from the B to the F. Perhaps using an R
for rover( as in the RV8). MG-RF? Or MG-R1.8. Or?

Michael, New Bern, NC