Re: MG reliability

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG reliability
From: Pschauss@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 02:23:35 -0500
Looks like everyone is getting into the act on this one so
here is my $0.02.

About a year ago, on the day of our first snow fall on Long Island,
I tried to drive my '86 VW to work, figuring to leave the MGB in the
garage for the winter.  About two thirds of the way to the office,
the VW broke down with a blown CV unit.  I had the car towed to work
by the outfit which has the towing monopoly on the parkways.
While I was waiting for VW to send a tow truck to pick it up, my wife called.
"Could you please give me a quick lesson on how to start the MG?"
It seems that her Buick wouldn't start.

So there we were with half an inch of slush on the gound and the only
two cars which would run were the MG and the Healey. (No I did not
drive the Healey.)

Just for comparison.  The repairs on the VW cost me about $800 including
some work to fix leaks in the doors (British cars have no monopoly on
leaks.)  On the Buick, I got by with a new battery.

Peter Schauss
pschauss@aol.com
ps4330@okc01.rb.jccbi.gov
1980 MGB