Re: MG life in Alaska

To: Arcticmg@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG life in Alaska
From: BarneyMG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 05:02:24 -0500
In a message dated 96-11-14 02:17:02 EST, Arcticmg@aol.com writes:

<< ..... An article on ArcticMGs will be forthcoming in MGA magazine.  Idea
for you real enthusiasts (Barney was small potatoes)  - why not plan an MG
expedition to the Great Land.  The Alaska Highway is not as bad as tourists
would like you to think.  .....  >>

If you've been a NAMGAR member long enough you may remember a series of
articles in MGA! magazine relating a little trip the wife and I took in the
MGA in 1989.  The articles titled "The MGA Odyssey" started in May 1991 and
ran in six consecutive issues.  We were visiting a lot of MG clubs around the
country, towing the little trailer, camping most of the time.  We managed to
drive 13,000 miles in six weeks, covered most of the continental US as well
as parts of Mexico and Canada.

The article ended with the following lines:  Would we do it again?  Why yes,
of course!  Will we do it again?  Well, nobody is saying just yet, but the
odds seem pretty good.  I wonder what a future MG Odyssey might be like?  We
haven't been to Fairbanks.

The last MG Odyssey was started when the MGA had just 8,000 miles on the ODO
after the restoration.  It now has nearly 94,000 miles showing and is in need
of a little body work and a repaint, planned for this winter.  This may be
the ideal excuse for putting off that paint job for another year.  Of course
to do it again like the last time, we would have to time things just right so
the wife could be six months pregnant before we leave again. (Well, maybe
not).

Keep in touch.  I could be talked into this if anyone else wanted to give it
a whirl.

Barney Gaylord -- 1958 MGA