Re: MG life in Alaska

To: BarneyMG@aol.com, merryweather@venus.connectware.com
Subject: Re: MG life in Alaska
From: car@texas.net (Carol )
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 01:46:16 -0600 (CST)
At 12:55 AM 11/15/96 -0500, BarneyMG@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 96-11-14 16:53:20 EST, merryweather@venus.connectware.com
>(George Merryweather) writes:
>
><< I bet you could get a contingent from the Lone Star State!  Put me on the
>list!  >>
>
>Three up and counting.  Any more?

I would love to revisit the 2nd most wonderful state in the Union!! But, alas...

>Being real preliminary here, but maybe leave home around June 10, meet around
>Seattle about June 14?  Or maybe the weather would be a bit better a few
>weeks later.  Any opinions here?

YES. Be there for June 20-21 and watch the sun rotate in the sky...longest
day of sunlight. We climbed a small mountain outside of Dawson Creek (City?)
on the Yukon and took photos of the sun at midnight! You must see the
midnight sun if you are going all that way up there..

The time of year you select, is, IMHO, PERFECT! One thing you will have to
contend with is mosquitoes the size of trainer jets! Very persistent, BIG
mosquitoes. Put the insect repellent on and keep on going.

>My map shows lines that look suspiciously like roads.  I generally take that
>as a challenge.  Looks like a dandy road going from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay,
>for the brave souls who might want to get their MG well into the artic
>circle, looks like maybe another 450 miles tacked onto the end of the road,
>900 miles added to the round trip to Fairbanks.  Some may opt to spend a few
>days in Fairbanks while others go on to Prudho Bay.

The fellow in Anchorage would be more of an expert on the subject than I
would, but... An "ice heave" in the road might really do a number on an MG!
When I was in Fairbanks, the roads north of Fairbanks weren't even navigable
by the big Ford LTD we bought when we arrived to be able to travel the state
and camp wherever we wanted to.

I began my auto journey in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Can., and only
travelled part of the AlCan Highway. I took the Alaska State Ferry up to
Skagway, then took the train to Whitehorse. The ferry is huge and carried
about 450 cars, plus tractor-trailers and buses. The accomodations are quite
comfortable. I chose to sleep on the fantail, as opposed to getting a cabin.
Met a lot of folks that way.

>Say ArticMG, what's the weather like in Prudho Bay in the summer?  Anything
>like a Chicago winter?

I found the weather to be quite pleasant, even though I got no farther than
Fairbanks and actually flew home from there..although I almost got off the
plane and stayed for good! I layered my clothing...t-shirt, turtleneck,
light wool jacket, and that's really all I needed for the entire trip. Lined
windbreaker for windy days. It's colder around the glaciers. But nothing
like a Chicago winter!

Have fun planning the trip. Buy a copy of the most recent "Milepost." That's
a book about travelling Alaska (and, I think, Western Canada). Has all the
latest roads, conditions, etc. It's published annually.

Take me along in spirit. I LOVE that place!!

Carol
"Non-Reciprocal Laws of Expectations: Negative expectations yield negative
results. Positive expectations yield negative results."