Re: 100% restorations/17

To: "MIKE LAMBDIN, CANS" <E720LAM@TOE.TOWSON.EDU>
Subject: Re: 100% restorations/17
From: stevet@hbp.com (Steve Tritle)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 10:28:50 -0500
MIKE LAMBDIN, CANS wrote:

> All this discussion about restoration overkill and cars becoming museum
> artifacts as opposed to only being road worthy is misleading.
>
> My impression of a 100% restoration has always been that the vehicle is
> restored to factory/dealer/showroom condition meaning it's ready to
> drive down the road. The paint, interior, mechanics etc. etc. are as the
> y were when the car was new, not "customized" or altered.
>
> Spraying an MGA, for example, with a metallic 2 step paint then covering
> that with 5,6,7 layers of clear coat is NOT original. Installing air
> conditioning, a 200 watt stereo or tinted windows, again, is not original.
> The car may look great and be road worthy but IT IS NOT ORIGINAL, i.e. it
> is not a true restoration. If I were judging a competition and saw an
> entry like this I'ld give it low marks.
>
> For me, the goal when restoring a noteworthy auto is to be able to drive
> the thing down the road. This is the real indication of a succesful
> restoration - the car looks and drives as if it were new.
>
> my 2 cents.
>
> Mike Lambdin

Exactly!

My TD was restored to factory specs 18 months ago but I did take poetic
license and install a radio in the glove box.

My car is driven all year but doesn't see rain or snow. I love it and am
constantly pampering it. I hope to add an MGA and maybe a midget as time
goes by.

It's all in the eyes of the beholder or 'beer holder', whichever is your
pleasure. I happen to like jazz and others rock-n-roll. That's also why
we have chocolate and vanilla.

Have fun and Happy Holidays.

Steve
52TD