Re: 100% restorations/17

To: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Subject: Re: 100% restorations/17
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 12:25:49 -0800
At 10:19 AM 12/18/96 -0500, Ray wrote:
>On Wed, 18 Dec 1996, MICHAEL J ROBSON wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 17 Dec 1996 09:42:04 -0800 Jarl/Carol <deboer@pacbell.net>
>> writes:
>
>>  I HATE show restorations, and would not do them. By my
>> >reckoning our cars are not museum pieces but tools - for pleasure and
>> >utility and not for static display. To me, a show car is "off the
>> >road"
>
>> HEAR HEAR Jarl, Whilst there is no doubt that there is something truly
>> fascinating about looking at a 100percent "perfect"  pro-restoration, its
>> really like looking at a model of a dinosaur in a museum! I get  much
>

>What I just cannot figure out is the concept of paying someone else to
>create a 100 point car for you, where your principal involvement is
>writing checks.  You have neither the pleasure of driving,
>nor the pleasure of personal creation.  What, then, is the point?  To
>determine who can afford the best restorer?

  I couldn't agree more. There is a local  ?illionaire who has a definite
passion for MG's.  He has a collection of about a dozen on display; an M
type, a J4 (I think), a PA Airline coupe, PN, SA Tickford, YA, TA Airline
coupe, TB, TC, TD, TF, A, and BGT.  All this is in a private museum and
STAYS in the museum.  They all are 100 point restorations, they all run
(reportedly) and the owner says he's roadtested each before it's enshrined
(or entombed).
 He is a member of our club but never attends events, he has employees that
do much of the restoration and writes cheques for most of the rest.

He is always pleased to host a tour of his collection for our group at just
about any time we want and will gladly spend hours talking about the history
of each car and its restoration or racing history. He is most definately an
enthusiast but one of a different strip than most here on the list.  I think
it borders on criminal to keep these cars off the road but, on the other
hand they've been saved and lovingly restored.  He can't hold on to them
forever and I hope that someday, someone will get their grubby little grease
stained mitts on these beauties and get them back on the road where they
belong.  He and those like him may be doing a disservce to the cars but it's
a sure way of keeping at least some of these preserved in "as new" condition
for the future.

My TC is anything but a 100 pointer.  I have tried to get it back to
original but it's NOT restored, it's a driver, complete with oil spots,
scratches and a couple paint chips.  In my philosophy these are not scars
they are badges of honour earned in combat with the road and the elements.
When (if?) the GT is ever finished it will be restored to as close to a 100
pointer as my skill and budget will allow but then will be thrown
immediately in to the crucible of neverending combat.  It too in it's turn
will earn the distinguished marks of a vintage campaigner that has done it's
job well. THEN I'll restore the TC and the whole cycle can start again.....

(ramble mode OFF)
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT