Re: 100% restorations/17

To: pbailey <pbailey@qnet.com>
Subject: Re: 100% restorations/17
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 1996 13:28:40 -0500
>I used to be in a model airplane RC club and there is a guy who owns the
>local F**D dealership and he would bring out these beautiful ducted fan
>Migs and F86s  BUT he just paid someone to build them,All the guys would
>be going ape over the planes and he would be busting with pride until I
>told him I sure would like to meet the guy who built it!I agree that a
>non original home made restoration impresses me more than some rich guy
>who shows up with a car he hasn't had a thing to do with except pay for
>it.I go to the Woodley park Brit meet every year and Jay Leno shows up
>with his latest car that someone else restored,I would rather see an old
>midget that a teenager is restoring himself with the minimum of cash
>than these rich ol boys toys.Mgs were made for the common man with
>common skills and tools ...Pat

I agree you with Pat on one hand.  On the other....  The overrestored
beauty is still a kind of artform.  We love the cars there are still
artists in metal and paint whose work we can enjoy.  Not everyone can
create his personal dream car.

For those who will indulge me, I would like to digress by way of
comparison.  During the forties, fifties and sixties the pop music world
worshipped singers who did not write music - they interpreted it.  They
gave it their stamp.  Men like Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Perry Como, Pat
Boone, Elvis Presley, and women like Ella Fitzgerald, Rosemary Clooney,
Patti Page, Connie Francis and hundreds of other singers literally made the
pop music of the time.  Then along came The Beatles, Paul Anka, Neil
Sedaka, Carole King and others who wrote their own music.  Suddenly artists
who could not compose were ignored.  They had "no talen" regardless of
their ability.  Today, young people consider most muscians  who cannot
compose to be somehow inferior.

Do you see the parallel?  Those of us who have the skills take pride in
others' appreciation of our cleverness, while we deprecate the obvious
pride of ownership which the less gifted, or time-challenged, take in their
restorations.  I have restored part or all of more than 50 automobiles and
motorcycles.  I have the skills and time.  I still admire, perhaps with
more understanding, the love and effort which went into the perfect
restoration.  No, I don't like to see the perfect restoration compete with
the daily driver for trophies.  Maybe its time we looked at the reason for
trophies at all.  We come to enjoy the cars.  After every show there are
some winners and a lot of losers.  Why should anyone who enjoys this
wonderful hobby be a loser?

John McEwen