MG vs. others

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MG vs. others
From: Jack Emery <jemery@mint.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 22:06:03 -0500
My first in person meeting with David Deutsch occured last Oct. at
Westminster Vt.
By way of introduction he brayed at me across the hotel parking lot "oh
jeeze, they let that Triumph crap in here".  I had never met the guy in my
life but the NY plate on the car and the attitude let me know who he was.

It was my 9th year at Westminster with my TR and the first time anyone,
anywhere, at a car show had ever attempted to make me feel unwelcome.  We go
to the shows to be with all of our friends and make new ones.  Over the
years we have made hundreds of friends traveling around the eastern US.

The TR?  It has won numerous first place trophies at Westminster and other
shows and a first in peoples choice at the VTR nationals in '96.  Not
exactly crap.
My other LBC is a '67 MGB roadster with a 3.6 alloy V-8 and all the
trimmings...my pals in the Triumph club think it's cool...MG folks don't
seem very open and friendly from what I've seen lately.  Or is it just a
few?  I don't think it is an attitude thing as I am a Viet Nam combat vet
that scored 105 with bonus points on his postal exam.  I manage to get along
even with my attitude "potential".

I'm a car guy, I like them all.  Shiney, fast, loud, I don't care where they
were built or what name is on the grille.  Life is really very short to
blind yourself to a world of enjoyment due to some crazy notion that your
car is better than someone elses.

I have no ill feelings toward Dave, I just find his statement that MG owners
are caring, kind, 90's kind of folks not in tune with his actions.  A
gentleman would never tell a stranger that his car, children or wife is
ugly.  Even in New York.

Jack Emery
'67 B V-8