Re: MG vs. Triumph

To: Kai Radicke <mowogmg@dynanet.com>
Subject: Re: MG vs. Triumph
From: tallen <tallen@csc.sctboces.org>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 00:10:35 -0500 (EST)
I'll bite.  When I was a kid, my friend Ray got a Spitfire, and I thought
it was cool.  When I went away to college, my dad found an MGB for me.  I
hated the Spitfire after that (noisy, hot, stinky, really rattly).  He
could outcorner me, but couldn't do 100 on the back roads!  Today I have
an MGA and Ray has a TR3.  To be fair, I haven't really been in either
car yet (they're both very new to us).  The TR3 is a very fine specimen,
my MGA is little rough.  When I was looking for a car (some of you may
remember), I thought a lot about Tri*#%'s.  The TR3 is sturdier, faster,
has a bigger motor, and cost more new than did the A.  The TR6 again is
faster, bigger, and in my opinion a very handsome car.  I can't even talk
about the TR4, which next to the MGA and TF, is for me the most beautiful
car ever built.  The problem with these cars is that they're not MG's.
They're fine automobiles, and would blow the doors off my A.  But they
don't have the history of the MG.  For me, they don't have whatever it is
that gets under your skin and makes you want these cars, and they have no
soul.  I wanted to buy a TR4 and may one day, if my conscience ever lets
me.

Tom

'60 MGA 1600

p.s.  To whoever wrote with the MGA 1600 MkI, it can't be a '62, the MkII
started sometime in '61.  The 1600 is a '60 or '61, and the MkII is a '61
or '62.