Re: Fuel delivery pressure

To: rmcd@marspec.com
Subject: Re: Fuel delivery pressure
From: britcars@juno.com
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 15:55:41 EST
On Tue, 14 Jan 1997 08:59:26 -0600 Rodney McDonald <rmcd@marspec.com>
writes:
>        Many thanks for your kind responses concerning the tire wear
>question. I've got one for my brother, also an LBC'er. He has an
>aftermarket
>fuel pump on his '76 'B that is delivering 7psi. Will this delivery
>pressure
>cause rich running?

Heavens, Yes! SU floats and needle-and-seats are designed to hold back
2-1/2 to3  pounds of pressure. The quick fix is to install a pressure
regulator in the line (available at most any auto parts house).  But fix
it soon! Excessive fuel pressure leads to carb flooding, some of which
will get into the cylinders, dilute the oil, wash down the cylinder walls
and cause all sorts of premature wear. Maybe even result in enough fuel
vapor in the oil pan to cause an explosion.....

Lawrie
British Sports Car Center