RE: Help needed...

To: nick.pitt@bbc.co.uk
Subject: RE: Help needed...
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (JOHN MCEWEN)
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 12:30:57 -0500
Hello Nick and List:

While I admire many of your suggestions for turning an engine over to set
timing, I have used a very simple system for years.  It works on about 90%
of the vehicles I own or have owned.

I simply grasp the fan with one hand and press down on the fan belt with
the other.  By pulling the fan blade toward the hand pressing on the belt
the engine will turn over.  If you're feeling weak or the engine has really
good compression it may be necessary to take out some or all of the plugs.

The only vehicles which cannot use this system are those with thermostatic
fans, electric fans or plastic fans.

I wouldn't depend on turning off the ignition or removing the key as the
best safeguard.  Simply remove the coil secondary wire or the primary if
that is easier.  It won't fire.  Don't forget to reconnect this however.

John McEwen