Re: Mga Wheel (steering that is)

To: tallen@csc.sctboces.org
Subject: Re: Mga Wheel (steering that is)
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 12:28:20 EST
On Sun, 19 Jan 1997 23:27:27 -0500 (EST) tallen <tallen@csc.sctboces.org>
writes:

>I noticed Moss has their repro MGA steering wheel on sale right now.
Does anyone on the list (Barney, Kevin?) have any experience with these
or other wheels? .....  Do I need a wheel this large?  Would a stronger
wheel be better?

The Moss reproduction MGA steering wheel is better than original.  I
stand by my experience.  My original wheel (at age 19) was badly cracked.
 A large friend of mine bent his original MGA steering wheel rather badly
the first time he tried autocrossing.  I installed a new Moss repro unit
with the restoration in 1986.  It served me well for 75,000 miles
including lots of autocross.  It still looks great (very original) and
holds up well, nary a crack anywhere.

I ultimately had a little different idea for a racing wheel.  The
original banjo spoke steering wheel is rather large, slightly flexible
and sort of thin on the rim.  When I decided I needed something more
solid to hang on to, I bought a Moto Lita wheel from Moss, three flat
drilled steel spokes, black, with padded leather rim, nice and stiff with
a wonderful grip.  The original wheel is 16-1/2" diameter, the Moto Lita
wheel is 15-1/2" diameter (catalog says 15").  SCCA allows any steering
wheel within 1" of the original diameter in Stock class.  I could never
go back.  My only gripe with the Moto Lita wheel is that the black oxide
finish steel screws around the hub started to rust a bit the day it was
installed.  The rest is still like new after two seasons.

My Moss repro wheel is still in good condition, plastic rim and stainless
spokes are like new, center medallion has slight crazing but hardly
noticeable, center hub could use a little touch up paint.  I would part
with it for $75 plus shipping.

        Barney Gaylord
        1958 MGA with an attitude

PS

I had a 14" steering wheel from V.B. on my MGA for about five minutes.
Hint: 14" is WAY too small for an MGA.

        BG