mental troubleshooting challenge--Up for it??

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: mental troubleshooting challenge--Up for it??
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 13:33:19 +0000
Here's a little challenge for anybody who thinks they can get
the better of Lucas. I had a fault on my '72 B, and checked
about a dozen things before finally realizing that the symptoms
alone determined the fault down to the exact wire. See if you
can figure it out. You shouldn't need anything but a wiring
diagram. Here are the symptoms:

1) Right turn signals don't work (front or back), and indicator
on dashboard lights up solid when you try to signal for a right turn.

2) Left-turn blinkers work perfectly, and so does the left-turn dash
indicator.

3) Hazard switch flashes all four corners normally, but the right-turn indicator
on the dash does nothing (stays dark), while the left-turn dash
indicator flashes appropriately.

That's all you need. Identify the offending wire, by source
and destination, and tell whether it's shorted to ground or
opened up  (disconnected). Good luck!!!

P.S. Bonus points if you can explain how this fault caused
each of the above three symptoms.

P.P.S  I only have a wiring diagram for my '72, so I can't verify
solutions if the wiring for your year is radically different.  It's
entirely possible that some years could not produce these exact same
symptoms.

Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com