Re: "Zero" Emissions Autos

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: "Zero" Emissions Autos
From: hstaton@ilnk.com (Sam Staton)
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 1997 16:22:24 -0500
        I'll toss my oar in on this one, too. I wouldn't be averse to using an
electric car for commuting purposes, either. This past summer, I was
fortunate enough to be able to 'drive' the new electric that GM is
producing. There ia a prototype at EPCOT Center in Disneyworld. Every so
often, the 'MC' or whatever you want to call him, picks some one for a
demo. I was the fortunate one. It was fixed to a dyno, and I couldn't turn
the wheel, but it was impressive nonetheless. The drawback (a MAJOR one in
my book) is the price - high 30s. It had all of the amenities one could
want, and looked pretty swoopy, too.
        My main fear relative to electric cars is the tendency of politicians
(ptooey! I had to clear my mouth on that one!) and all of the tree-huggers
and enviro-terrorists to use things like this to force us out of our IC
engine cars. Read the letters section of Hemmings Motor News some time. The
information there will chill you to the bone. Granted, this is a
'political' fear, and may not come to pass, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Pardon me, I digress.
        Anyway, if someone could devise an electric automobile that would have a
decent turn of speed, at least a 200 mile range, and wouldn't require me to
sell every other possession I have to own, I'd buy it.

Sam Staton
'73 Rdstr - Maggie