Re: "Zero" Emissions Autos

To: RJohn50603@aol.com, gardner@lwcomm.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: "Zero" Emissions Autos
From: Ross Overcash <jroverca@tiac.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 05:11:39 -0500 (EST)
At 10:37 AM 2/2/97 -0500, RJohn50603@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 97-02-02 07:32:16 EST, jroverca@tiac.net (Ross Overcash)
>writes:
>
>SNIP
>
> >     Someone has made the claim that electric cars will produce MORE
> >pollution, at least in the lead department, than a car burning leaded
> >fuel.  I'd be curious how, since lead-acid batteries don't gas off
> >lead, and lead recycling from lead-acid batteries is one of the
> >oldest and most successful recycling programs in existence.  Many of
> >these cars don't even use lead-acid batteries at all.
> >     Lastly, don't forget that there is one case where an electric
> >car IS zero-emissions--  Stopped in traffic.  <
>
>SNIP
>
>I remember attending a joint EPA / Industry seminar in the mid sevenities.
>The case study offered by one of the Industry representatives was about the
>major "clean-up" of a large plant (3M, I believe) that actually had a
>negative impact on the environment. It simply increased and moved the
>pollution from that one large plant to it's electric company (it now used
>more power to produce the same amount of product) and hundreds of vendors who
>made all of the additional equipment, filters and chemicals that the plant
>now consumed. It was an interesting day.
>
>The lead used in most of the batteries for an electric car is very toxic, the
>sulphric acid in the batteries is also toxic and a lot of polution from the
>manufacture of these batteries will be increased as more an more of these
>large batteries will need to be produced. A large lead acid battery will only
>last about five years and the replacement will probably cost three to five
>thousand dollars. Other, more exotic batteries also use toxic materials.
>
>I think we need to be very careful of getting swept away with electric
>vehicle enthusiasium. It may be OK for certain situations but, it doesn't
>solve all of our problems by a long shot unless there is a significant break
>through in a power source
>
>Remember the trunk mounted, beer can eating fusion reactor in Back to the
>Future? Now that would probably do it!
>
>R. Johnson - Dallas
>
>'90 Maine Coon
>'79 Midget
>'76 Midget
>'73 MGB
>

>Randy,

Well put.  We already have to pay a surcharge when we purchase a batterie(s)
for disposal as we do for tires.  Can you imagine what it will be like with
all those electric cars running around?  And we thought Nuclear waste
disposal was a problem!!  My wife often says you have to be careful what you
wish for, you might get it..... Well I hate to say this but she's usually
right... so........

Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer, MA.
http://www.tiac.com/users/jroverca