Re: "Zero" Emissions Autos

To: Scott Gardner <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Subject: Re: "Zero" Emissions Autos
From: Bill Harkins <bharkins@tfb.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 1997 12:53:59 -0800
Scott Gardner wrote:

>   I'd like to add my two cents' worth on the new electric cars.  While
> I realize they have their faults (limited performance and range being
> the two biggest), they would be ideal for a second or third car, to
> be used as a commuter vehicle.

They are great as golf carts! Electric car fans should check the history
of the 1914 Baker Electric, "The Ladies Car". I seem to remember from my
Floyd Clymer old auto ad books of 50 years ago that the car lasted about
two years, being totally impractical for any distant driving. Note too
how many metropolitan areas abandoned electric public transportation (ie
the Big Red Cars in LA) and went to diesel buses - really stinky, but
economical.

Sorry guys and gals, I realize this belongs in the electric car
newsgroup, not MGs.

Bill Harkins
Fallbrook, CA