Re: Names and all that sort of thing

To: cdelling@srv1.ic.net
Subject: Re: Names and all that sort of thing
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 14:15:30 -0500

>I must disagree just a bit.  I owned a 1967 Chrysler 300.  It was a two
>door variant of the New Yorker, and was equipped with a 440 V-8 with a
>four barrel carb.  Characterized by the concave slab sides.  It was a
>boat, and it was fast.
>
>Regards,
>
>Chris Delling

Hi Chris:

Yes, you owned a Chrysler 300 but not a "letter car".  The true Chrysler
300 was a limited edition car, the last of which was built in 1965 as the
300L as I described in my earlier posting.  However, in 1962, Chrysler
cashed in on the fame of the 300 by re-naming the former Saratoga series.
They produced a look-alike version of the 300 but without the exclusive 300
features.  The "plain-jane" 300 didn't have leather upholstery, the Hi Po
letter car engine or suspension.  They came with a stock 383 engine or
could be ordered with a 413 and later with a 440.  Chrysler lost money on
every letter 300 built before 1964 even though they cost more than an
Imperial.  The "plain-jane" was a way to recoup some of that expense.  The
last non-letter 300 was built in 1971, with a one-year return in 1979 using
a Cordoba as the base.

John McEwen