Re: Names and all that sort of thing

To: Geoff Love <engconn@infi.net>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Names and all that sort of thing
From: Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 97 15:06:09 GMT
> Had it not been for Spitfires (one of which I am pleased to say, I have=

> flown).

You lucky, lucky person.

> A Spitfire is the only known aircraft to have engaged a V2 rocket in =
armed
> combat. (See Raymond Baxter's
> autobiography.
>
> Geoff Love, The English Connection.

Don't have the book but are you sure it was a V2?  I've always understood=
 that
V2's came down vertically at faster than the speed of sound.  Fighter pla=
nes
were used to shoot down V1's and tip them off course by flipping
them over with a wing tip.  Ironically, V2's are said to have caused less=

damage than the V1's even though they contained more explosive power.  =
The V2
exploded below ground level and the V1 above, the V2 caused total destruc=
tion
over a small area while the V1 caused less damage but over a wider area. =
 My
Mother worked in the City of London during the Blitz and it was a habit =
to go
to a particular Post Office at lunchtime on the same day each week, excep=
t one
day she decided not to go.  A V1 exploded in the street right outside tha=
t Post
Office that lunchtime killing everyone in it and in the street.

PaulH
73 Roadster (HD&H)
75 V8 (DD)