Re: towing rig

To: Vince "J." Pujalte <pujalte@stic.net>, engle@mailer.martech.fsu.edu,
Subject: Re: towing rig
From: Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 97 18:42:51 GMT
> Paul,
>   I may be mistaken, but I believe that it IS necessary to disconnect =
and
> "tie up" the driveshaft in most manual transmissions when towing. This =
is
> because the tranny innards don't receive any splash lubrication
> when receiving input from the rear in Neutral.
>   I would be happily disabused of this notion, should it prove incorrec=
t.

> God Bless,
> -Vince
> '78 Midget "Betsy"
> San Antonio, Texas

Vince, Lawrie, Blair,

I cannot comment on the technicalities, but I would have thought that the=

handbooks would be correct on this point.  These, including the Leyland =

workshop manual, specifically refer to adding extra oil to the gearbox =
for
short and low-speed tows of cars fitted with *auto* transmissions or
disconnecting the propshaft for longer tows, and make no recommendations =

regarding manual transmissions.  The difference is because the auto box =
is
lubricated from an oil pump driven by the input shaft (which isn't rotati=
ng
unless the engine is) whereas the manual is an oil bath.  However it woul=
d seem
common sense to disconnect it anyway if you suspect a gearbox problem.

In any event it isn't a difficult job to disconnect the propshaft and the=
n you
are sure.

PaulH
73 Roadster (HD&H)