Thrust washers et al

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Thrust washers et al
From: Bill Schleusner <b-schleusner@ti.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 15:12:55 -0600
My fellow MGers,

I have a confession to make.  During a lapse in sanity I subscribed to the
Triumphs list and contemplated purchasing a TR6.  You'll remember my tirade
about trying to find an MGBGT. Being a true lover of most lbcs I thought maybe
I could find a decent TR6 (you can flame me later).

Having heard so many horror stories about the infamous "thrust washers" I
decided to ask the Triumph group about the estimated useful life of thrust
washers.  Well let me tell you, this question went over about as well as a fart
in church.  I have not received one response about the above said washers.
Needless to say it didn't give me a warm feeling about either Triumphs or the
list.

That said, and I know there are many closet Triumph owners on this list, maybe
I can get a better response from this group.

I have a few questions that if anyone could answer I would greatly appreciate
it:

        What is the estimated useful life of thrust washers?

        Does driving style affect the useful life i.e. highway vs. city?

        Why don't MGs have the same problem with thrust washers?

        If this is/was such a known engineering defect why didn't Britsh
Leyland         fix the problem?

        Why am I so attracted to a car that has a known history of terrible
problems? (rhetorical question, no answer needed).

I want to thank everyone regarding the responses to my "Burned Big Time"
tirade, sometimes it's comforting to know other people have experienced the
same thing as yourself.

I may have strayed but I have now returned........

>From Bill Schleusner
Texas Instruments Incorporated
b-schleusner@ti.com