Re: Thrust washers et al

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Thrust washers et al
From: Kelvin Dodd <kdodd@West.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 15:08:51 -0800
Dear Bill:

>What is the estimated useful life of thrust washers?

       In an MGB indefinite, in a Triumph short.

>Does driving style affect the useful life i.e. highway vs. city?

       The one factor that really accounts for wear is clutch operation.
 The more gear shifts the more times the crank gets pushed against the
washers.

>Why don't MGs have the same problem with thrust washers?

       The MG washers have a larger area.  The clutch operating system
is different.  The clutch cover springs are not as heavy.

>If this is/was such a known engineering defect why didn't Britsh
> Leyland         fix the problem?

       Ask any Vega owner that one.  No money, within design tolerance,
etc, etc.

        The Triumph engine design originated as a low output engine.
Over the years Triumph cranked more and more power out of the basic
design.  Unfortunately, more power required a heavier clutch.  The
heavier clutch put more stress on the thrust washers, which were not
upgraded.  In the TR6 thrust washer failure is not that prevalent.  It's
kind of like the #3 rod going out on a B.  When they fail that is where
they go.  Usually it is caused by abuse, neglect or in the TR6 incorrect
clutch linkage geometry.  The real problem child is the 1500 engine,
when the engine size was increased from 1296cc to 1500cc reliability
went down the tubes.  The thrust washers would fail causing the rods to
move sidways, finally the rod bearings would fail.  This was happening
within 20-30,000 miles.  Something to watch out for in the late Midget.

Kelvin.