Re: Electric Fuel Pumps

To: jack@ihcmail.ih.lucent.com
Subject: Re: Electric Fuel Pumps
From: dfdarby@juno.com (David F. Darby)
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 10:53:04 PST
Ladies and Gentlemen:

This is a deviation from the actual question at hand, but I have been wanting
to ask this for some time as it bears on an emergency fuel pump
system I would like to setup.

First, forgive me for not completely understanding the inner workings of
these pumps. We have two types of electric fuel pumps from which to
choose for our LBCs: the traditional Skinners Union type with contact
breakers either in positive ground (earth) or negative ground and the
electronic breakerless variety.

Now, my questions: in the event of pump failure, would another pump
mounted inline, either pushing or pulling, move fuel through the
disabled pump and thus keep the fuel system operative? Would the
non-functioning pump's diaphragm effectively act as a check valve and
not allow fuel through? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks for your consideration.

David F. Darby
Hercules Wilderness, MIssouri, USA
MGAs, MGBs