Re: Electric Fuel Pumps

To: rwbmg@voyager.net, dmeadow@juno.com
Subject: Re: Electric Fuel Pumps
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 07:49:45 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-03-15 00:24:27 EST, rwbmg@voyager.net (Wayne Buletza)
writes:

<< Now, my questions: in the event of pump failure, would another pump
 > >mounted inline, either pushing or pulling, move fuel through the
 > >disabled pump and thus keep the fuel system operative? Would the
 > >non-functioning pump's diaphragm effectively act as a check valve and
 > >not allow fuel through? Has anyone tried this?
 > >Thanks for your consideratio >>

David,

You can put the pumps "in-line" and you'd probably be all right in 90% of any
failure of the primary pump.

BUT, if the primary pump fails due to it's internal valving sticking or
springs a leak, the old pump may still be a problem. The true fail safe would
be with the pumps in parallel and a three way valve selecting which pump has
suction from the gas tank and another three way valve on the discharge,
selecting which can feed the carburetor(s).  Manual or electrical valves
could be used.

This gets complicated and expensive. If I wasn't racing for money, I think
I'd carry the spare in the boot as one other person suggested.

I suppose you would also want a back up ignition coil too. I was watching the
NASCAR races last weekend on TV and that saved one of the drivers bacon.
Now that could start a whole new thread. The primary of the coils could have
a three way selector switch (or relay) but, were the secondaries paralleled
or was there a high voltage SPDT switch or mechanical relay in the circuit?
HV diodes another possibility.

By the way, how many spare tires should we carry and where?

R. Johnson - Dallas

'90 Maine Coon
'79 Midget
'76 Midget