Re: Cold Red Light -Reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Cold Red Light -Reply
From: wise@db.erau.edu (John A. Wise)
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 10:53:49 -0800
>--- Dan (After all it is an MG) Hughes wrote -------

>...Then it's glowing dimly, I assume that it's due to the fact that
>it is, after all, it is an MG.  Am I living dangerously?
>Should I replace the alternator or just wait it out?  I

>----- Kirk Cowen wrote ---------
>Not necessarily!!  We ran one alternator in a "B" for years, and it always lit
>the red light dimly; BUT the battery never went flat!!!

=================

My '79 Midget's light had the same symtomology.  I took it to my wrench in
Pittsburgh who tested its output as fine.  He said the "logic board for the
warning light" in the alternators of mid-late MGs often cause the light to
"glow" and not to worry unless the light became bright.

The alternator worked fine (the light continuously glowing) for the next
5-6 years, till I sold the Midget do to severe (Penna salt induced) body
rust.

John

John A. Wise, Ph.D., CHFP                       Tel: (+1) (904) 226-6384
Department of Human Factors & Systems           Fax: (+1) (904) 226-7050
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University            E-mail: wise@db.erau.edu
600 South Clyde Morris Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL 32114-3900      USA