Re: Is it cool?

To: John Hudson <popajohn@dmrtc.net>
Subject: Re: Is it cool?
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 19:26:25 -0500
Hello John:

I "enjoy" the same kind of climate as you - although not as hot and much
colder.  However, we don't attempt to drive LBCs in winter.  I would like
to suggest that you may be causing part of the problem yourself.  It is not
a good idea to remove the thermostat to help cooling.  The purpose of a
thermostat is to retain water in the radiator until it has had a chance to
cool, and conversely to retain water in the block until it has had a chance
to heat.  This tends to keep the operating temperature of the car within an
efficient range.  In cold weather and during warmups, the thermostat
permits a quicker warmup and allows more efficient heater operation.  In
summer, it allows the radiator time to do its work.

The best solution is to replace the 190 stat with a 160.  Even better is
the idea of having the rad re-cored with a new high-efficiency core - after
having the block chemically cleaned with an appropriate radiator flush.
Don't just buy anything off the shelf.  See a good rad shop.  I had this
done on my B last summer at a cost of about $160 US.

John McEwen