Re: Is it cool?

To: mpowell@cstone.net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Is it cool?
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 07:41:38 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-03-18 22:18:17 EST, mpowell@cstone.net (Mike Powell)
writes:

<< I know that the thermostat allows the engine to heat up faster when it's
 started cold, but is it really true that it also acts to help cool the
 water if the engine's too hot?  I would think that if coolant were kept in
 the radiator longer to allow it to cool the water in the block would also
 stay around longer and get too hot.  Not to mention the fact that the
 thermostat would have to close when the water got too hot, and I don't
 think they work that way.

Mike,

The thermostat opens proportionately to how hot the water is at the cylinder
head outlet. If the water is relatively cool as to the temperature rating of
the thermostat, it is closed. As the water approaches the rated temperature
of the thermostat it opens. If the temperature exceeds the rated temperature
of the thermostat, it just continues to stay open and the radiator cools as
much as it can. If the thermostat were to stick open (in the winter) the
engine would be overcooled and never get up to optimum operating temperature.

R. Johnson - Dallas

'90 Maine Coon
'79 Midget
'76 Midget