Re: Missouri Endurance Rally (WARNING: THIS MAY NOT BE SERIOUS)

To: boballen@sky.net
Subject: Re: Missouri Endurance Rally (WARNING: THIS MAY NOT BE SERIOUS)
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 02:20:01 EST
I like this part:

On Tue, 18 Mar 1997 12:46:00 +0000 Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
writes:

>Of my humble skills, and limited experiences, I must admit that
>competitive autocrossing is not among them. I am in awe, have a lot of
>respect, think it's really cool, and all manner of other sucking-up
>superlatives that you drive that fine example of ancient British iron
>as much, as often, and with as much vigor as you do. It truly is
>unfortunate that Mr. Weatherall's event is not an autocross so that I
>might learn from the true professional.
>
>At times in the past you would sit down and put some of your experiences
>to keyboard and I thought it was wonderful that you would expend that
>effort to share your experiences. It almost made it worth logging on and
>wading through all the petty insults, mud-slinging, an inapplicable
>technical minutiae to find such pearls of wisdom.
>
>Perhaps you wouldn't mind me tagging along behind you on the Endurance
>Rally? Thus you can demonstrate the finesse, skill, and knowledge of
>spirited, competitive driving in an 'A'.

Pretty heady stuff, huh?  But then he goes on to say:

>I will keep the C/GT a few feet
>off your rear bumper while holding the video camera out the window to
>capture the moment for future generations. This could be a great
>moment for all of us aspiring rallyists!
>
>Your ardent admirer,
>Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT

Well, he was doing pretty good there for a while.  Maybe he could follow
the dust cloud from miles away.  But we don't do that sort of thing on
the public roadways!  (Do we?)

I imagine Bob's C/GT has a bumper sticker, and that the sticker says
something about the car he imagines is behind him getting dusted.  On
some cars the sticker is a public service.  On others, just wishful
thinking.

Cheers,
Barney