Re: clutch replacement

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: clutch replacement
From: syd saperstein <tcsyd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 18:24:44 -0600 (CST)
>Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 00:00:47
>To: RJohn50603@aol.com
>From: syd saperstein <tcsyd@ix.netcom.com>
>Subject: Re: clutch replacement
>
>I have had both carbon and ball bearing throwouts over the years.  2 ball
beqaring types lasted a very short time (on 67 B GT's).  One, with very
little warning ( about one day of bearing whine which turned to
screech/scream)whine actually dropped a couple of balls (either before or
after seizing).  Perhaps they were not of high enough quality, but then how
do you ever really know about that , until it's too late.  Since then, I
have returned to the carbon.  It works fine, and its wear rate is fairly
constant and predicable.  Given that my TC only sees 2-3,000 miles per year,
I expect many years of service from the carbon unit in it before replacement
should be necessary.