16 inch tires

To: british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 16 inch tires
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 17:52:28 -0500
Hello fellow listers:

I am trying what may be a crazy idea.  I am thinking of preparing my
Standard Vanguard for a 1500 mile round trip to the Rally in the Valley in
Penticton, BC.  I like to take something different of every meet and I took
my MGB last year.

My problem is that the Vanguard is still running on it's second set of
tires which by my estimate were put on in 1956.  I have serious qualms
about running anywhere on anything that old.

Does anyone have any leads toward a good set of 5.75 or 6.00 - 16 tires?  I
don't car if they are used as long as they are in good shape.  I don't want
to spend a fortune on new ones because all I have found so far are
high-priced collector car tires.

Perhaps someone knows of a low-priced tire being made today in this old
size.  If so I would love to learn about it.  Call me cheap, but with as
many cars as I have to keep on the road I can't justify spending five to
six hundred dollars for tires for a car which won't get driven more than
2,000 miles in the next few years.  One of the big problems of collector
cars is that the tires die from age not use.  I have cars with beautiful
as-new, correct-original-tread tires which are 20 years old.  The tires
will rot before they wear out.  However, I realize that that is my problem.
I would deeply appreciate any help.

John McEwen

1949 Austin A40 Devon   1950 Standard Vanguard          1956 Chrysler 300B
1962 Sunbeam Alpine     1966 Austin Cambridge           1956 New Yorker Conv.
1970 MGB Roadster       1957 AJS Model 20               1961 Fury Sonoramic
1972 Ducati 450 T/S  1970 Norton Commando Fastback Mk 2 1963 Honda CB 92R

 Many additional vehicles intended to separate my child from her inheritance.