Re: Fuel Leak on MGTD

To: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Leak on MGTD
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 19:55:53 -0500
>         Good news and bad news. Bad news is that it failed the full-tank test.
> Good news is that I think I know why. The liquid nature of sealants act
> as a lubricant to the surface of the neoprene gasket. As the mounting
> screws are tightened, the gasket tends to 'ooze' and deform. I know that
> this happened.

Did you not let the stuff set up prior to assembly?  It sounds a lot to me like
you slathered
it on, and promptly stuck the parts together.  That is a way to make sure
liquid gaskets
fail.  You really and truly are supposed to do what they say, let it sit
exposed to air until
it pretty well sets up to a hard tack.  If it's wet, it does just as you've
described, and
promptly leaks.   Be it Yamabond, permatex or any liquid gasket or gasket
sealant.  Parts
cannot be assembled with the stuff on them wet, no matter how much you slap on.
 A thin
layer, allowed to set up, is what works.

I didn't realize you weren't using any gasket whatsoever in there either.
While I am not
familiar with the assembly and installation of those sending units, many of the
types I am
familiar with require the use of a gasket for tension.  Ie, the screw ring
tightens by
pressing against a gasket and the sending unit.  If there is no  gasket, there
absolutely
will not be enough tension to ever ensure a seal.

I went and looked as Lazarus, very nice!  I take it that's you and the missus?
I can well
see why your daughter thought you killed it when she saw it.  Heck, I'd think
it was dead!
If I stacked up a car like that I'd get a hundred zillion dents and scratches
on the body
parts.  You are obviously a far better stacker then I.