Re: A sad day in calif.

To: TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com
Subject: Re: A sad day in calif.
From: britcars@juno.com
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 18:01:40 EDT
On Fri, 18 Apr 1997 14:08:10 -0700 (PDT) (21:08 UT) PHILIPPE TUSLER
<TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com> writes:
>:-(  :-(  :-(  :-(
>
>  Tintin failed smog.  I went and did all the recommended tricks:
>Cleaned up and adjusted the points.
>Re-gapped the plugs to .035

.025 makes an adequate spark

>Retarded the timing to 5 BTDC

OK, so long as it didn't make the engine idle rough. If the timing chain
is stretched, the ignition is retarded anyway.

>Leaned out the carbs five flats from colortune white.

Too lean a mixture gives a "lean misfire" which really bumps up the HC!
You should go only as lean as will still allow a smooth idle.

>Set the idle at 1200 RPM on the tach (It's inaccurate)

Hopefully! A 1200 r.p.m. will get you a fail, as the car must idle at or
below 1100 r.p.m.

>The Hydrocarbons were twice what they were two years ago.

See note above re. lean mixture.  However, also note a trick we....er,
shall I say...are aware of: open the valve clearances to .022"; this does
wonders to reduce HC emissions.

>The Nitrous oxide was over, too.

Since the state measures only HC and CO, Nox numbers are irrelevant.

As you say, at least you found out in a pre-test. Keep trying; if the
engine is basically sound, it will pass when set up correctly!

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center