Re: A sad day in calif.

To: britcars@juno.com
Subject: Re: A sad day in calif.
From: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 17:23:15 -0500
Comments spliced in below...

At 06:01 PM 4/18/97 EDT, you wrote:
>On Fri, 18 Apr 1997 14:08:10 -0700 (PDT) (21:08 UT) PHILIPPE TUSLER
><TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com> writes:
>>:-(  :-(  :-(  :-(
>>
>>  Tintin failed smog.  I went and did all the recommended tricks:
>>Cleaned up and adjusted the points.
>>Re-gapped the plugs to .035
>
>.025 makes an adequate spark
>
>>Retarded the timing to 5 BTDC
>
>OK, so long as it didn't make the engine idle rough. If the timing chain
>is stretched, the ignition is retarded anyway.
>
>>Leaned out the carbs five flats from colortune white.
>
>Too lean a mixture gives a "lean misfire" which really bumps up the HC!
>You should go only as lean as will still allow a smooth idle.
>
>>Set the idle at 1200 RPM on the tach (It's inaccurate)
>
>Hopefully! A 1200 r.p.m. will get you a fail, as the car must idle at or
>below 1100 r.p.m.

I don't know what kind of exhaust system we are talking about here, but!...

If the car has a catylitic converter, then the higher the RPM's, the more it
will stir up the Platinum beads which in turn will reduce the HC in the
exhaust,
otherwise, I would lower the RPM to normal.  Just don't go over 1300 RPM
becuase
then it's not considered low ilde emissions and will fail.

Extra note below...

>>The Hydrocarbons were twice what they were two years ago.
>
>See note above re. lean mixture.  However, also note a trick we....er,
>shall I say...are aware of: open the valve clearances to .022"; this does
>wonders to reduce HC emissions.
>
>>The Nitrous oxide was over, too.
>
>Since the state measures only HC and CO, Nox numbers are irrelevant.
>
>As you say, at least you found out in a pre-test. Keep trying; if the
>engine is basically sound, it will pass when set up correctly!
>
>Lawrie
>British Sportscar Center

I didn't mention this becuase of the way some people may feel about
synthetic oils.

I think they are fantastic.  And oil and oil filter change will do
wonders for the states car enema test.

Synthetic oils are 100% lube and the crude oil has properties that are
pollutents
and is not 100% lube.  Synthetic oils are cleaning and can also increase the
chance of passing on a normal running old engine that is border line.

--
Jay Quinn       '62 Austin Healey MKII Sprite
Systems Engineer