Re: FW: Lubricants for transmissions.

To: engconn@pottsville.infi.net
Subject: Re: FW: Lubricants for transmissions.
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 00:24:59 -0700
At 01:58 PM 5/14/97 -0600, you wrote:

>say the same thing. However, since the days when the Ts were made
>the world has moved on a long way and so have oils. What is the considered
>opinion of the group's experts? In a rebuilt transmission is it still
>necessary to stick to hypoid oil unswervingly, or are there now better
>oils which will withstand the 'shearing ' forces of bevel gears and aid
>longevity of very costly replacement components?
>
>All contributions gratefully received.
>Geoff Love.

Geoff,

I've told this story more than once on line but since you asked......

The tranny in my TC is tired, it was noisey and very difficult to shift when
cold.  Not long after I got it I drained the transmission and differential
and replaced the oils with the appropriate lubes recommended by the manual.
The transmission was just as noisey and just as difficult to shift but I
then figured at least I'd done what I could to prevent further damage.

While at GoF West last year I attended a tech session and the subject of
synthetic oils came up.  The group couldn't come to a consensus on motor oil
but I heard nothing but glowing reports of Redline synthetic gear lube.
When I got home I replaced the 140W gear lube in the tranny with the
recommended Redline gear lube (85-140 I think).  It was (is) the next best
thing to a rebuild-in-a-can.  The transmission was smoother, cooler, quieter
and easier to shift.  All this for $12!

Redline synthetics are specialy formulated for older (vintage) gearboxes and
differentials and are available in a wide range of flavours.  I have no
affiliation with them at all but I just have to pass on my experience.  I
cannot recommend them highly enough.
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT