Re: Replacement fuel pump

To: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Subject: Re: Replacement fuel pump
From: Rodney McDonald <rmcd@marspec.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 08:15:18 -0500
At 08:51 AM 5/15/97 EDT, you wrote:

>>Hmm, unless you have added a pressure regulator as well, you are lucky.
>SU's are rated for a 1.5-3.5 psi pump, anything more blows past the float
>needles and floods over. .....
>

>I must have heard about 100 people make this same statement, but I'm
>beginning to think it's an old wives tale, and I'm attempting to debunk
>it.  I've had this pump in service a long time now.  Started out with
>stock brass float valves, then went to rubber tipped float valves for a
>while, and have now been Grose Jets for five years.  I run a fuel filter
>at the pump.  I've never had an overflow problem.
>
>Now I'm prepared to be flamed, but has anyone actually experienced
>carburetor overflow caused by these pressures and not attributable to
>worn float valves or dirt?
>
>Barney Gaylord
>1958 MGA

Barney:

Well, not me personally but my brother's '76 'B had an aftermarket (who
knows what kind) pump that put out 7.5 PSI to his HIF-4s and he had a world
of trouble with rich running, but not overflow... that I know of.

He had his SU pump rebuilt and it seemed to cure the problem. Until the
rebuild crapped out after about 1000 miles... but that's a new thread.

Rodney McDonald
'76 'B
Spanish Fort, AL